- 150 Study Hours
- Coursework only
- Advanced Diploma
Useful links & downloads
- View the CII Accessibility Statement
- Download 960 Syllabus 2022 (PDF)
- Coursework FAQs
- Explaining your assignment or dissertation result notification (PDF)
- Download 2022 specimen coursework assignment (PDF)
- Plagiarism and how to avoid it – watch the video
- Assessment Information
- View the CII Qualifications accessibility and special circumstances policy and guidance document
The objective of this unit is to develop an understanding of the requirements of managing overall risk exposures and arriving at appropriate pricing to ensure fair outcomes.
The default Enrolment option for this unit includes:
- Latest version of the core learning content, in digital format only.
- Assessment entry.
The aim of Advanced Underwriting (960) is to build on your existing knowledge by examining how underwriting management, working with other areas of expertise, contributes to the effective management and success of general insurance businesses.
Advanced Underwriting (960) is concerned with the application of knowledge, you will be asked to imagine yourself in a number of different underwriting management roles: for example, responsible for groups of risks in an underwriting portfolio (product, scheme or branch account) or, as an underwriting director, responsible to the board for all your company's underwriting activities and outcomes.
Success completion of the Advanced Underwriting (960) assessment will require you to undertake further reading and private research beyond this core text.
Building a successful career in insurance
Advanced Underwriting (960) is relevant for you if you are working in the insurance profession as an underwriter, aspire to a role in underwriting management or if you have recently been appointed to such a role.
You should already have knowledge gained from a study of the relevant sections of Insurance, Legal and Regulatory (IF1) and Underwriting Practice (M80), or equivalent examinations.
Summary of learning outcomes
- Analyse key regulation and legislation affecting the underwriting function.
- Evaluate underwriting strategy, policy and practice.
- Analyse the principles and practices of pricing.
- Evaluate the management of exposures in the portfolio.
- Evaluate planning, portfolio monitoring and operational controls.
- 3 coursework assignments of up to 3,200 words
- For purchases on, or after, the 21/03/2023, 12-month enrolment with assignments due at 3,6,9 months. This may be different to previous enrolments you have purchased for CII units.
- 50% pass mark
- The average pass rate for those completing Advanced Diploma in Insurance coursework units in full is currently 97.1%
Units treated as equivalent
Due to the extent of syllabus overlap, certain combinations of current and withdrawn units will result in only one award of credits.
If a withdrawn equivalent is held you may not need to complete a current unit in order to satisfy a qualification's completion rules. Clarification should always be sought from CII Customer Service.
Find out more about credit awards for equivalent units
Study material – editions available
Enrolment (12 months)