The Certificate in Climate Risk is a global qualification for financial services risk professionals. The certificate is awarded by the Chartered Banker Institute and designed and delivered in partnership with the Chartered Insurance Institute and the Chartered Institute for Securities and Investment.
Managing climate-related risks and supporting the transition to a low-carbon world are amongst our most significant global challenges. Central banks and financial regulators consider the identification, measurement and disclosure of these risks to be a priority. Recognising the strategic importance of this topic, the Chartered Body Alliance have developed their first joint qualification, the Certificate in Climate Risk.
First launched in 2021, the Certificate in Climate Risk has been substantially updated for 2022/23 to encompass a wide range of developments in our understanding of climate change and its impacts, the rapidly-evolving policy and regulatory landscape relating to climate risks, and the substantial progress in finance sector practice in addressing climate and broader sustainability risks.
The aim of the qualification is to develop the learner’s professional knowledge, understanding and skills relating to climate change, climate risk and sustainable finance, with a view to supporting customers, clients, colleagues, and communities with the transition to a sustainable, low-carbon world.
Please note that this certificate will be delivered and awarded by the Chartered Banker Institute. The Chartered Insurance Institute is not the awarding organisation for this qualification.
Building a successful career in financial services
This qualification is aimed at all financial services professionals globally who have an understanding of risk management principles and wish to develop and demonstrate their knowledge and expertise of climate risk. With broad financial services sector coverage, including bankers, insurers, investment managers, central bankers and regulators, risk managers, analysts and consultants.
- The single-unit certificate is delivered via an online study guide and interactive e-learning modules delivered via the Chartered Banker Institute’s learning management platform.
- Registration lasts for 1 year, so you can work through the modules at your own pace.
- Exams are booked via the Chartered Banker Institute and are delivered online.
- Remote invigilation is available, enabling candidates to schedule exams in a suitable location and time of their choice.
- This qualification is achieved by successfully passing a computer-based exam of 75 multiple choice questions. Exam duration is 1.5 hours.
- 15 Certificate-level CII credits are available for this qualification towards relevant CII qualifications.
- The exam will not be available to sit until the end of March 2023.
*Please note that the credits and level listed in the Certificate in Climate Risk module specification relate to the Scottish Credit and Qualifications Framework and not to CII credits or to RQF levels.
CII & CBI membership
By studying this qualification, you will become a member of two globally recognised Chartered professional bodies – the Chartered Insurance Institute and the Chartered Banker Institute:
- You will be required to become a member of the CBI to study this certificate.
- By purchasing through the CII, you will receive Ordinary CII Membership if you are not already a member. This will be for the duration of your registration. See this page for more information.
- As a CII member, you will also get access to a network of Local Insurance Institutes that provide peer communities, CPD and social activities, local to where you live or work. Please note that membership of the Insurance Institute of London carries a £3 annual fee.
The Certificate in Climate Risk syllabus covers the following:
- The emergence of climate change and its impacts on the environment, economy, society, and the financial services sector.
- The ability to identify, describe and classify climate-related financial and non-financial risks, and the impacts of these on the economy, society and the financial services sector.
- The challenges in measuring, monitoring and reporting climate risks, and the availability and quality of data.
- Identifying common approaches to modelling climate risks, including the use of scenario analysis.
- Examining approaches and responses to climate risk at global, regional and national levels, and their impacts on the financial services sector.
- Exploring approaches to defining, developing, articulating and embedding climate risk appetite, governance and culture.
- Studying opportunities for the financial services sector in supporting the transition to a sustainable, low carbon world.
Upon completion, the student will be able to use the Chartered Banker Institute's designation 'Climate Risk Professional' after being certified by the CBI.
Access to learning via the CBI
When you purchase via the CII, please be aware that you will receive your enrolment confirmation email from the Chartered Banker Institute within 5-7 working days. Please note that your personal data will be shared between the Chartered Insurance Institute and the Chartered Banker Institute for the duration of this qualification.