The objective of Commercial Insurance Contract Wording (M21) is to develop knowledge and understanding of commercial (re)insurance contract wordings and the legal, regulatory and drafting issues surrounding these wordings.
The default Enrolment option for this unit includes:
- Latest version of the core learning content, in digital format only.
- Assessment entry.
In an increasingly complex financial world, (re)insurance, and in particular, (re)insurance contract wordings play a vital role in establishing the terms and conditions of a (re)insurance contract, contract certainty and clarity.
Knowledge of fundamental legal principles and an understanding of the pitfalls of poorly worded insurance contracts can help to avoid errors, omissions and legal disputes. To help understand the importance of (re)insurance contract wordings, this study text focuses on a variety of topics including:
- The environment in which wordings are created.
- Market organisations' support for the world of contract wordings.
- The changing landscape of contract certainty and the importance of industry regulation.
- Key components of a wording.
- The legal and practical considerations when drafting and reviewing.
- Parties to a contract, their responsibilities, and how disputes can be resolved.
- Facultative reinsurance wordings and treaty reinsurance.
- Types of proportional and non-proportional reinsurance clauses.
Building a successful career in insurance
This course is relevant for anyone seeking to develop their knowledge and skills for a rewarding career in the insurance profession or in a support role. Insurance Law (M05) counts towards a Diploma in Insurance. It may also count towards the Advanced Diploma in Insurance.
Please note it is assumed that you already have knowledge of the fundamental principles of insurance as covered in Insurance, Legal and Regulatory (IF1) or equivalent examinations.
Summary of learning outcomes
- Understand the environment within which UK commercial (re)insurance contract wordings are created.
- Understand legal factors affecting commercial (re)insurance contract wordings.
- Understand the terms and conditions of commercial (re)insurance contract wordings.
- Understand the different types of reinsurance contract wordings.
- Coursework assignment with 10 compulsory short answer questions (marked within 63 calendar days of submission); and a 60 minute exam comprising 50 multiple-choice questions (MCQs)
- 60% coursework pass mark
- 65% exam nominal pass mark
- The average pass rate for those completing Diploma in Insurance mixed assessment units in full is currently 91.6%
- Coursework assignment to be submitted within 6 months of enrolment
- Exam to be passed within 18 months of enrolment (only first exam entry included as part of the enrolment)
Study material - editions available
2022-23 edition (applicable to exams sat 01 May 2022 to 30 Apr 2023)
Important note about access to RevisionMate
Please note that any purchase of the M21 study text from 9 May will be enrolled on the CII’s new-look RevisionMate. Your welcome email will include your new login details.
If you are currently enrolled on any other unit, you will still need to access legacy RevisionMate for your content and (re)submissions.
Please visit this page for more information: https://www.cii.co.uk/learning/support/revisionmate/