- 80-120 hrs per unit Study Hours
- See individual unit pages for assessment information only
- Dip CII
The Level 4 Diploma in Insurance is a technical and supervisory qualification for insurance staff of any discipline. It provides a firm understanding of insurance fundamentals and develops your advanced technical knowledge.
The Diploma in Insurance is appropriate for insurance staff working across all sectors of the industry and a logical progression from the Certificate in Insurance. It is suitable for anyone working across all sectors of the industry, for example:
- Insurance technicians, and those who aspire to be technicians
- Supervisors, team leaders and those with long-term ambitions of assuming managerial responsibilities
- Anyone wishing to hold a recognised, respected insurance qualification
- Insurance staff employed in support functions wishing to develop their knowledge of the business
- Those wanting to develop their knowledge and understanding as part of a progression towards completion of the Advanced Diploma in Insurance and Chartered status
We recommend that candidates complete the Certificate in Insurance, or equivalent prior to studying for the Diploma. We also recommend the prior study of IF1 Insurance, legal and regulatory, as this covers the workings of the market, including the legal and regulatory framework and the essentials of insurance practice.
The Diploma comprises two compulsory units and option units from across the insurance qualifications framework. A minimum of 120 CII credits must be obtained for successful completion, with at least 90 CII credits at Diploma level or above. These credits can be used towards further CII qualifications.
There is no prescribed order in which units must be taken, but it is strongly recommended that you sit the required compulsory unit(s) first as these provide foundation knowledge upon which the others build.
Of the compulsory units, candidates must study:
- Insurance Law (M05) – 25 CII credits.
And one of either:
- Insurance, business and Finance (M92) – 25 CII credits; or
- Economics and Business (530) – 30 CII credits.
This will provide 50-55 Diploma level or above CII credits. A further 40-45 CII credits at Diploma level or above must be achieved to meet the requirement of 90. A further 30 CII credits are needed for full qualification completion, which can come from any units within the insurance framework.
Choose only two option units from the following Diploma units:
- Commercial Insurance Contract Wording (M21) – 20 CII credits.
- Delegated Authority (M66) – 25 CII credits.
- Fundamentals of Risk Management (M67) – 25 CII credits.
- Underwriting Practice (M80) – 20 CII credits.
- Insurance Broking Practice (M81) – 20 CII credits.
- Claims Practice (M85) – 20 CII credits.
- Personal Insurances (M86) – 20 CII credits.
- Cargo and Goods in Transit Insurances (M90) – 25 CII credits.
- Aviation and Space Insurance (M91) – 30 CII credits.
- Commercial Property & Business Interruption Insurances (M93) – 25 CII credits.
- Motor Insurance (M94) – 25 CII credits.
- Liability Insurances (M96) – 25 CII credits.
- Reinsurance (M97) – 30 CII credits.
- Marine Hull and Associated Liabilities (M98) – 30 CII credits.
- Other units from the CII insurance framework – 6-50 CII credits.
Units P61, P62, P63 & P64 have been withdrawn. Qualifications and credits achieved via P61-P64 will be valid post unit withdrawal.
For units in this qualification, students typically have access to the following materials as part of their enrolment
- Study text (printed and/or digital) with digital updates
- RevisionMate online course access, including:
- Exemplar assessments (examination and coursework).
- Study text chapter-based questions.
- Mixed assessment guidelines and instructions.
- Coursework submission area.
- Assessment entry
Additional or different resources may be available for some units.
Select units to complete this qualification
Please read the Completion Requirements section above before selecting any units as these provide essential information on what you need to do to successfully complete this qualification.
Explore and purchase units
- Insurance Law (M05)
- Insurance Business and Finance (M92)
- Economics and Business (530)
- Commercial Insurance Contract Wording (M21)
- Life, critical illness and disability underwriting (P61)
- Life, critical illness and disability claims (P62)
- Long term insurance business (P63)
- Private medical insurance practice (P64)
- Delegated Authority (M66)
- Fundamentals of Risk Management (M67)
- Underwriting Practice (M80)
- Insurance Broking Practice (M81)
- Claims Practice (M85)
- Personal Insurances (M86)
- Cargo and Goods in Transit Insurances (M90)
- Aviation and Space Insurance (M91)
- Commercial Property and Business Interruption Insurances (M93)
- Motor Insurance (M94)
- Liability Insurances (M96)
- Reinsurance (M97)
- Marine Hull and Associated Liabilities (M98)