The Foundation Insurance Test (FIT) is an introductory-level qualification that provides knowledge and understanding of the basic insurance products, principles and practice within the legal and regulatory framework of the insurance profession. It will help you to develop an understanding of key insurance topics, including how the insurance market operates, fundamental risk and insurance principles and procedures, and core personal and commercial insurance products.
The default Enrolment option for this unit includes:
- Latest version of the core learning content, in digital format only.
- Additional revision aids.
- Assessment entry.
This unit covers six essential topics, including the insurance market, legal principles, procedures and the major classes of insurance.
The test is based on the published syllabus, which is itself an important aid to exam preparation and revision. It is essential that you familiarise yourself with this before commencing study. This sets out the learning outcomes and depth of knowledge you will require in order to pass.
The syllabus also identifies learning materials in the form of a reading list, reference materials and periodicals which you can use to assist with your studies. A full syllabus is provided in the CII study text. To obtain the full syllabus free of charge follow the links below or contact Customer Service.
Building a successful career in insurance
The Foundation Insurance Test (FIT) is particularly suitable if you’re new to the insurance sector, or in an associated profession or support role where you need to demonstrate a basic understanding of general insurance.
This unit may also count towards achieving the Certificate in Insurance.
Summary of learning outcomes
- Understand how the insurance market operates
- Understand risk and insurance in the context of the insurance market
- Understand agency and insurance legal principles
- Understand insurance underwriting procedures
- Understand policy wordings and procedures for renewals
- Understand insurance procedures for claims
- Understand the conduct of insurance business
- Understand personal insurance
- Understand commercial insurance
- 2 hour exam
- 100 multiple choice questions
- 70% nominal pass mark
- The 2020 pass rate for this unit was 76%
Study material - editions available
2021 edition (applicable to exams sat 01 Jan 21 to 31 Dec 2021)