General Insurance Business (IF2) provides you with knowledge and understanding of insurance products and practice, including underwriting and policy wordings, claims, customer service and information and communication technology.
The default Enrolment option for this unit includes:
- Latest version of the core learning content, in digital format only, delivered on RevisionMate.
Revision aids: Key Facts Booklet, Knowledge Checker, E-learn (delivered on RevisionMate).
- Assessment entry.
General Insurance Business (IF2) provides an overview of the products and services in the UK market, including the basic features and outlines of the typical covers provided within the main classes of insurance, i.e. motor, health, property, pecuniary and liability.
It looks at the need for the underwriter to understand the risks and for the insured to understand their part in providing appropriate information and ensuring the cover provided, based on this information, meets their requirements.
We look at legislation that requires consumers of personal lines insurance to take reasonable care not to make a misrepresentation and for insurers to ask the right questions clearly. We also look at provisions that apply to commercial insurances, including the duty to make a fair presentation of the risk.
It looks at premiums and how they are calculated, the cost of claims and how processes of proof, reserving and compliance with policy terms, conditions and current legislation are managed and understood.
Building a successful career in insurance
This course is for you if you work in insurance or aspire for a rewarding career in insurance.
General Insurance Business (IF2) counts towards achieving the Certificate in Insurance. It may also count towards the Diploma in Insurance and the Advanced Diploma in Insurance.
Please note: Life insurance falls outside the scope of the General Insurance Business (IF2) syllabus.
Summary of learning outcomes
- Know insurance products and associated services for general insurance business.
- Understand underwriting and policy wordings for general insurance business.
- Know how to apply knowledge of principles of premium calculation of general insurance business to a given set of circumstances.
- Understand claims within the context of general insurance business.
- Know how to apply knowledge of principles concerning the operation of policy conditions affecting claims for general insurance business to a given set of circumstances
- Understand information and communication technology, security, confidential information and data protection within general insurance business.
- Understand customer service within general insurance business.
- 2-hour exam
- 100 multiple choice questions
- 70% nominal pass mark
- The 2022 pass rate for this unit was 72%
Units treated as equivalent
Due to the extent of syllabus overlap, certain combinations of current and withdrawn units will result in only one award of credits.
If a withdrawn equivalent is held you may not need to complete a current unit in order to satisfy a qualification's completion rules. Clarification should always be sought from CII Customer Service.
Instructions on accessing your course on RevisionMate will be sent to your registered email address. This is typically within two working days of your order being placed, but may be longer, particularly if payment is made by bank transfer or the unit is available as a pre-order.
Study material - editions available
2024 edition (applicable to exams sat 01 Jan 24 to 31 Dec 2024)
Revision aids available
The revision aids available for this unit are listed below. Find out more details. **Please see individual shop pages for 2024 edition availability**
- Key Facts Booklet
- Knowledge Checker
Note for purchasing revision aids: please make sure you do not already have the revision aid(s) as part of any Enrolment plus purchase.