This enrolment will be for the cohort starting on Monday 9 October 2023.
This introductory-level course is an important first step in developing your knowledge of data science and artificial intelligence (AI) within the context of insurance. It provides an overview of data tools and technologies and develops your understanding of data analysis, data visualisation techniques, an ethical approach to AI and data science techniques for insurance.
This unique course has been developed and delivered in partnership with the Southampton Data Science Academy, a spin-out of the Web Science Institute of the University of Southampton, led by UK AI Skills Champion Dame Wendy Hall.
Please note, currently we are enrolling for the cohort starting on Monday 9 October 2023. Registrations for this cohort close on Friday 29 September 2023. If you would like to join a different cohort, check below for future course start dates and registration periods:
- Monday 11 March 2024 (registrations open Monday 6 November 2023, closing on Friday 1 March 2024)
- Monday 10 June 2024 (registrations open Monday 8 April 2024, closing on Friday 31 May 2024)
If the cohort you wish to join isn't open for bookings at the moment, please register your interest and the customer service team will contact you to confirm booking once it's open. If the cohorts above aren't suitable and you would like to be informed of more future dates as they become available, please email us at email@example.com.
You will learn how to make data work for you, unlock its value and communicate insights. It will help you develop strategies to enhance your business through AI. Learn how to apply tools and technologies and brainstorm solutions to new and future business challenges with world-class academic experts in group and 1:1 tutorials. Network with other insurance professionals and share good practice via the discussion forum. Apply the theory to enhance your role and company via an assignment and other interactive exercises.
Building a successful career in insurance
Data Science and AI are helping insurance companies improve customer service and products; provide more detailed and insightful analysis; make better decisions and predictions and improve efficiency via automation, algorithms, better pricing and modelling.
There is an increasing need to understand data across a variety of finance roles. Those who understand its potential are well-placed to drive innovation. Data currently resides across various silos and teams within most businesses, while increased data literacy drives teamwork and innovation.
The course is ideal for anyone in the insurance profession seeking to develop an understanding of data science and AI capabilities – from broking, underwriting and claims professionals, to business analysts, product development, management and marketing roles.
- Explain core concepts and methods in data science and AI within insurance
- Identify opportunities to apply data-science driven business solutions
- Gather, process, analyse, visualise and communicate insight from novel, large and heterogeneous datasets
- Perform basic analysis of relevant datasets with state-of-the-art tools and technologies in the insurance context
- Provide insights about the legal, ethical and technical implications of using big data and AI in an insurance context
Fully online interactive learning, comprising:
- Six modules
- Six online group tutorials, 1 x1:1 session each, with a duration of 30 mins. If you cannot attend the tutorial, you can send questions to the tutor before the session and watch the recording later, at your convenience. You will need a stable internet connection that allows streaming and teleconferencing for these sessions.
- One final assignment, typically around 1,500 words in length (80% of the total mark), and a set of discussion forum contributions (20% of the final mark).
Candidates should raise any unforeseen circumstances that may prevent them from submitting the assignment with their tutor as early as possible to discuss reasonable adjustments.
A downloadable, printable certificate will be issued approximately 3-4 weeks after the end of the course. This will be co-branded by the Chartered Insurance Institute and the Southampton Data Science Academy.
Delegates participating in the accredited Introduction to Data Science and AI for Insurance can claim up to 30 CPD hours towards the CII/Personal Finance Society member CPD scheme.
The course includes exercises which will allow participants to work through practical examples using data science tools. There will also be additional, non-assessed exercises that will also allow participants to test out techniques of personal interest.
Our partner, the Southampton Data Science Academy (SDSA), facilitates the delivery of this course and consequently your name and email address will be shared securely with SDSA after you purchase your enrolment. They will only use your data in connection with delivering your course and not for marketing or other purposes. Southampton Data Science Academy is the trading name of Southampton Global Limited, which is a subsidiary of Cambridge Education Group Limited and registered in England under company number 10112318.