- 150 Study Hours
- Coursework only
- Advanced Diploma
Useful links & downloads
- View the CII Accessibility Statement
- Download 995 Syllabus 2022 (PDF)
- Coursework FAQs
- Explaining your assignment or dissertation result notification (PDF)
- Download 2022 specimen coursework assignment (PDF)
- Plagiarism and how to avoid it – watch the video
- Guide for coursework trainers (PDF)
- Assessment Information
- View the CII Qualifications accessibility and special circumstances policy and guidance document
To enable candidates to understand the strategic context within which an underwriting function is managed.
The default Enrolment option for this unit includes:
- Latest version of the core learning content, in digital format only.
- Assessment entry.
Strategic Underwriting (995) provides you with an introduction to the concepts and processes of strategic underwriting in insurance together with some of the issues that need to be addressed by managers at this level.
The syllabus and study text are designed to enable you to evaluate the following:
- Global strategic insurance issues.
- Underwriting strategy within the external insurance context.
- How the underwriting function should be led and resourced to deliver the underwriting strategy.
Success in the 995 assessment will require you to undertake further reading and private research beyond this core text.
Building a successful career in insurance
Strategic Underwriting (995) is intended for an underwriter with several years’ experience who is looking to develop their career through route: Section Head; Departmental Underwriting Manager; Company Underwriting Manager; MGAs, Brokers, Syndicates, Captives, Reinsurance, Alternative Risk Transfer and Delegated Authorities.
It is assumed that you already have a grounding in underwriting gained from study of Underwriting Practice (M80) or Advanced Underwriting (960) and knowledge of insurance organisations, finance and regulations as typically covered in Insurance, Legal and Regulatory (IF1), or Insurance Business and Finance (M92) or equivalent examinations.
Summary of learning outcomes
- Discuss global strategic insurance issues.
- Evaluate underwriting strategy within the external insurance context.
- Evaluate underwriting strategy within the internal insurance context.
- Analyse how the underwriting function should be led and resourced to deliver the underwriting strategy.
- 3 coursework assignments of up to 3,200 words
- 50% pass mark
- The average pass rate for those completing Advanced Diploma in Insurance coursework units in full is currently 97.1%
Study material – editions available
Enrolment (12 months)